THE IMPACT OF CUMULATIVE TRAUMA EXPOSURE IN FEMALE EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT FIRST RESPONDERS - PHD SCHOLARSHIP

The Centre for Traumatic Stress Studies at the The University of Adelaide is currently looking for a new PhD Candidate for a very and important project: The Impact of Cumulative Trauma Exposure in Female Emergency Department First Responders 

The Phoebe Chapple Memorial PhD Research Scholarship is provided through The Australian Medical Women’s Memorial Research Fund (AMWMRF) – Snowdrops Hope for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Committee, which is an affiliate of The Repat Foundation – The Road Home and The Hospital Research Foundation.

The recipient will be awarded $27,00 per annum for a three-year period, commencing in January 2017 and the overall aim of this project is to investigate the mental, social and physical health impacts of occupational exposures among South Australian Emergency Department (ED) Female First Responders being nurses and doctors.

To find out more, please download the full PhD scholarship advertisement here.

The Hospital Research Foundation is delighted to announce the 2016 TQEH/BHI research grant recipients.

THRF Mid-Career Fellowship

Dr Isuru Ranasinghe, Discipline of Medicine, TQEH, University of Adelaide

$100,000 over one year

 

Dr Isuru Ranasinghe is looking at reducing unwanted variation in early complications after cardiac pacemaker and defibrillator implantation among Australian hospitals.

THRF Research Grants

Professor John Beltrame, Michell Professor of Medicine, Discipline of Medicine, TQEH, University of Adelaide

$100,000 over one year

Professor John Beltrame and his team are investigating Coronary Haemodynamic Indices – their clinical usefulness for predicting persistent symptoms in patients with chest pain and non-obstructive coronary arteries.

Professor Eric Gowans, Virology Laboratory, Discipline of Surgery, The University of Adelaide, BHI

$100,000 over one year

Professor Eric Gowans and his team are aiming to develop a DNA vaccine to induce protective neutralizing antibodies to the HIV Tat protein.

Associate Professor Wendy Ingman, The Breast Biology and Cancer Unit, Discipline of Surgery, The University of Adelaide, BHI

$100,000 over one year

Associate Professor Wendy Ingman and her team will be exploring the impact of menstrual cycling on personalised medicine for premenopausal breast cancer patients.

Our past grants...

Professor Eric Gowans, Virology Laboratory, Discipline of Surgery, The University of Adelaide, BHI

$300,000 over 2 years.

Read more about this project here.

Professor Gowans and his team are aiming to develop a new therapeutic vaccine for patients with Hepatitis C (HCV). The project is focused on a therapy for patients who have the gt3 strain of Hepatitis C, for which there are no current antiviral options.

Professor PJ Wormald, ENT Research, Department of Surgery, Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, TQEH

$300,000 over 2 years

Read more about this project here.

Professor Wormald and his team will be investigating a potential alternative therapy for patients who suffer from Chronic Rhinosinusitis (CRS), a condition which affects 18% of the Australian population. 80% of CRS patients are treated sucessfully with current medications or surgery, however this project will focus on developing a therapy for the remaining 20% of patients who have no available effective treatment options.

Professor John Beltrame, Michell Professor of Medicine, Discipline of Medicine, TQEH, University of Adelaide

$300,000 over 2 years

Read more about this project here.

Professor John Beltrame and his team will investigate a new therapy for the Coronary Slow Flow Phenomenon (CSFP). Patients with CSFP have dysfunctional microscopic blood vessels causing blood to flow slower through their major heart vessels, producing recurring chest pain. The team are investigating exercise therapy as an effective treatment; an exciting new research direction in the field.